Friday, February 1, 2013

Multidimensional Workforce

"For the first time, four generations of nurses are employed at once in the workforce" (Huber, 20, p. 713).
 







1. Veterans (traditionalists) "matures"
  • Born between 1920-1945 ages 61-85+
  • Consistent
  • Past oriented & history absorbed
  • Values dedication and hardwork













2. Baby Boomers
Born between 1943-1960 ages 42-60
Career driven
Want genorous pension plans
Optimistic
Stars of the show
Team oriented











3. Generation Xers


Born between 1960-1980 ages 26-41
Self-reliant
Need a work/life balance
Want salary increases to save for future educational needs of children
Value diversity










4. Nexters/ Generation Y ( Millenials)


Born between  1980-2000 ages 0-26
DIGITAL NATIVES
Value more paid time off, honesty, and integrity
Environmental activists
Savvy, Streetwise and sophisticated.














     
More generational characteristics:TABLE: Workplace Characteristics (If you cannot read this image e-mail maxon@fdu.edu to receive a print edition of FDU Magazine)
At work, generational differences can affect everything, including recruiting, building teams, dealing with change, motivating, managing, and maintaining and increasing productivity. Generational differences relate to how people communicate, might affect misunderstandings, high employee turnover, difficulty in attracting employees and gaining employee commitment. Each generation has distinct attitudes, behaviors, expectations, habits and motivational buttons. Learning how to communicate with the different generations can eliminate many major confrontations and misunderstandings in the workplace and the world of business.  As a leader/manager of a organization it is very important to understand these four generations to be able to manage them and keep them motivated.



I am currently in the "nexter"generation. I would say I am a digital native. I help a lot of people out with computer issues and I feel like everything I am doing is usually on my phone or computer. For my work and family life I really need to have a balance. Generational differences are so interesting to me. I see it all at my workplace now and also at my clinical. I think these four generations are helpful to have in the workforce because of all the experience and role modeling for the younger two generations. In my work experience I believe that managers keep the different generations motivated by letting people pick their shifts by a certain amount of years working there. They also give bonuses and give people raises.

Huber, D. H. (2009). Leadership and nursing care management. 4th edition. Saunders, Elsevier Health Sciences. Maryland Heights, MO.



Whats your generation, core values, and thinking process among the organization your working for?

No comments:

Post a Comment