Thursday, January 17, 2013

Change Is In Our Futures....

Currently in my nursing leadership course we are reading the textbook " Leadership and Nursing Care Management by Diane Huber. In chapter 14 of this book it talks about how currently there is a lot of focus on acute health care (hospitals), which ends up being extremely costly. Predictions for the future are that in the next couple years, there will be less focus on the acute care and more focus on community-based health care. Like myself, you may be wondering what exactly this means for nursing? Well, as the health care delivery system goes through this huge change, there will be more nursing focus on preventative care. This means taking action before a disease actually occurs. This can be done by thorough patient education on preventing illness, immunizations, and risk assessment for specific diseases. There will be more job opportunities for nursing in the community setting as the health care reform continues to progress, making an increase of demand for great nursing skills.
I wanted to talk about this, because I think preventative care is really important and I believe and am really hopeful that the health care reform will help reduce some of the high costs due to how expensive acute care is. I wasn't aware of all the many opportunities there was in community nursing, and although I don't think I will go right into the public health setting of nursing, it is always a possibility. Nursing is always changing and it's important to stay openminded and be aware of the changes around nursing. I look forward to see all the changes that the future holds!


Huber, D. (2006). Leadership and nursing care management (3rd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier

No comments:

Post a Comment