Thursday, January 17, 2013

Where Have all the nurses gone?!?

In 2002 there was around 4.2 million people employed in hospitals of those 4.2 million, 2.3 million were employed as registered nurses. Yet, even though it may seem like a pretty big number, health care workforce shortages represent a cyclical challenge in the U.S health care system. Nurses are key players in the health care role, and when there is a shortage of the key players, access and quality are compromised, and increase of costs may be a consequence.Within the next couple years the aging population (baby boomers) is anticipated to live longer, making them the greater population that is being cared for. This can be concerning because the workforce is also aging and they will retire, when the demand of nursing continues to grow rapidly. Shortages of nursing isn't a new issue, it first began in 1998. Shortages can be related to economic, workplace, social, and demographic issues. Nursing shifts are often unattractive, pay rates become flat over time, and the lack of nursing faculty creates high stress on units. Nursing management has done many things over time to help alleviate the shortage. They have attempted to increase wages, enhanced recruitment programs, use of agency nurses, bonuses, hiring foreign nurses, and recruiting more men and women through a scholarship program and lean repayment programs. Patient safety is what really matters when it comes to nursing shortages. When nursing has less staff on, they have more patients and more responsibilities. More responsibilities with less time  to fulfill them.

This topic of nursing shortages is of interest to me because although there is not much of a shortage in the twin cities yet, it could very well happen at any time. In my place of occupation I have had many opportunities to see how ineffective the health care world is when we are not staffed correctly. It makes the day very difficult, and it when most mistakes and errors happen. Patients feel like they don't matter, and that their health care is not important. I do not want my patients to feel like they are not important, because they matter, and they are why I chose this for my profession.

How will the shortage of nurses affect you?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Kellie great topic.
    I know this is much worse in many southern states and states with less pay and benefits than we enjoy in Minnesota. I may utilize a loan forgiveness program in another region if I can't find a job that I like up here. While this problem is concerning I can't help but be appreciative of the job security. Ok nice job.
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kellie,
    It is amazing to see that back in 2002 how many million nurses accounted for the 4.2 million individuals employed in hospitals. I can see how the hours can be unattractive for some, but I think they offer a lot of flexibility as well. I don’t think we have a terrible shortage yet, but it might just be a matter of years before we do. I agree that patient safety is what matters and how it will be affected with a nursing shortage. With the increased demands on nurses, errors and mistakes occur. It is a hot topic of discussion at my job. Delegating can help ease some of the demands as long as they are appropriate tasks to be delegated.

    I too have seen unsafe staffing at my place of employment. There have been times were an abundance of phone calls were made to see if any nurses would come in to help. I see how this can affect productivity and safety as well as how ineffective the health care can be when they are rushing to get things completed. As a nursing assistant I try to help as much as I can be making time to spend with the patient or helping with tasks as appropriate. It can get very stressful for all involved. It is not a common occurrence at my job, but when it does the nurse’s rally together to get things completed! If that means staying on for an extra 4 hours they usually do. We have such a high demand for nurses now that flu season has started that traveler nurses were brought in to adequately staff the units.
    Great Post!!
    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete