Wednesday, January 23, 2013

TEAM= Together Everyone Achieves More


In healthcare, every discipline plays an integral role in patient care, making teamwork a HUGE part of nursing. Any lack of teamwork affects the care delivery and relects a negative environment. A real team is defined as a group that is big or small, temporary or permanent, who can come together and bring complimentary skills, shared purpose of collective work, common approaches to work, and hold eachother accountable for outcomes. A pseudo team (fake) is a group of individuals who think they are a team but have dysfunctional and unhealthy relationships anc communication patterns. Most everyone has been a part of a team who works well together and a team that has struggled and been dysfunctional.
 
What Makes A Great Team?
1. Commitment and capability
2. Leadership
3. Trust
4. Collaboration/Communication
6. Motivation
7. High standards
8. Diversity
9. Clear goals
10. Common purposes
11. Address concerns
 
These ten things make a great team because they bring different aspects into a team to make the team successful. Everybody is part of a team, whether it be at work or at home as a family.

I am currently apart of a team at work as a nursing assistant. Everyday that I go to work I am part of a team. The team changes everyday so it gives me plenty of experience working with a real team and a pseudo team. Working with a dysfunctional team makes the day drag on and makes me feel that I am dysfunctional as well. It is unfair for the patient and their family members to have to be involved in a unhealthy environment. Thus, it is important to reflect and discuss how you make the team you are involved in strong and functional. I strive to make the team I am part of functional and strong by staying in communication and collaborate with the nurses I am assigned to by telling them  any abnormal values and concerns. I also gain trust and hold myself to high standards so other people do as well.

So I challenge you to reflect and discuss on what you bring to your team?


No comments:

Post a Comment