Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Charge Nurses and Leadership

 
 
Charge nurses are experienced registered nurses who have displayed leadership, management and communication skills. They are responsible for managing, supervising and assisting the nursing staff, providing administrative support and patient care. A hospital, clinic or health care facility may have several charge nurses, each responsible for a different shift, department or specialized unit.



Some duties consist of:
  • Directing admissions
  • Discharge and managing the general patient flow
  • Assigning nurses and support staff to patients
  • Creating schedules
  • Maintaining adequate supplies
  • Informing staff of changes to protocol
  • Resource for staff


 While daily goals must be met, effective charge nurses are flexible and are able to prioritize and adapt during emergencies.

In my experience at work, charge nurses have 10+ years of experience, but also as little as a year. Some recent graduates in the last five years are already in the charge nurse position in their careers. Charge nurses are very resourceful for all staff members, and I feel that the most successful charge nurses are the ones who can make all staff feel comfortable to ask for help. The flow of the whole day can really depend on the leadership skills a charge nurse possesses.  In some cases the charge nurse position looks stressful,  but I eventually would like to obtain that role.

2 comments:

  1. To me the charge nurse role can at times be very intimating. Only because they need to be able to confront staff members and correct negative behaviors immediately. I tend to avoid conflict and this is something I will need to confront once I am ready and confident enough to put on my charge nurse pants. Traits that make for a successful charge nurse and areas that I will strive to acquire include self confidence, leadership, sense of humor, ability to motivate others, flexibility, empathy, excellent clinical skills, the ability to stay calm when things are crazy or in a crisis situation, somebody that is truly a team player and be able to praise positive behaviors immediately. Great Post and great insights!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the charge nurse role can be very stressful. We also have charge nurses with years of experience and some that are newer to the nursing profession. They each bring their own uniqueness to the floors. Since I work on the float team, I have a lot of experience with different charge nurses. I must say that the flow of the day depends greatly on the leadership and support of the charge nurse. The charge nurse needs to be a part of the TEAM! If I am fortunate enough to hold to position of CHARGE NURSE, I will be part of the team and lead with confidence, respect, compassion, and understanding!
    Great Post

    ReplyDelete