Sunday, March 17, 2013

Reflection on Leadership..

11 weeks ago (before my leadership course) I was asked what my definition and thoughts on leadership were.. and here is what I said..
Leadership is:
"the process of leading people by being a role model, working together as a team, and sticking up for what you believe is right. I believe a strong leader motivates, challenges, and is aware of imperfections. Leaders can see things in  others that others do not see in themselves."

I would say now after taking an RN leadership course, simulation on leadership, and clinical I would say that I agree with my definition 11 weeks ago, although I would add that leadership is not just in a "management" position, but there is a leader in everyone. It is where people step up when they are motivated by a challenge or commitment. Some leaders are better then others, however I believe that becoming an RN inquires certain leadership skills and it requires the ability to delegate and supervise the work of others.


I believe that a great leader possesses these qualities:
  • Honesty
  • flexibility
  • Visionary
  • positive attitude
  • high energy
  • knowledge
  • Emotional stability
  • Social intelligence
  • Confidence
  • Courage
There is a leader in every:
  • group
  • family
  • team
  • committee
  • Individual

Here are 2 of my favorite quotes of leadership:

















I challenge you to reflect back on some of your first thoughts on leadership..

No comments:

Post a Comment